My Top 10 NHL Logos
I’m a sports logo fanatic. I love basketball jerseys, hockey sweaters, football helmets and baseball hats. I’m obsessed. The National Hockey League is my favorite North American professional sports league, and these are my top logos:
10. Minnesota North Stars: Before moving to Texas and becoming the Dallas Stars, this was the identity the North Stars operated under. It’s clean, and it’s classic; a theme that will repeat itself on this list.
9. New Jersey Devils: First known as the Kansas City Scouts, the Colorado Rockies moved to New Jersey in 1982 and adopted the name “Devils” after the legendary “Jersey Devil” of urban legend. This was their original logo.
8. Montreal Canadians (1910): This was the original maple leaf logo of Canada.
7. Quebec Nordiques: Yet another throwback logo makes the list. The “Northerners” would move to Denver in the 1995 season and become the Colorado Avalanche.
6. Los Angeles Kings (Forum Blue and Gold): When Dr. Jerry Buss owned the Great Western Forum and its tenants (the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Kings), he made sure they matched. This is vintage 70’s hockey, and my favorite logo to ever represent a California NHL team.
5. Detroit Red Wings. It’s classic. It’s simple. It’s hated. One of the most effective logos in all of professional sports belongs to the feared Red Wings of Detroit.
4. Montreal Canadians (Current): What’s a great NHL logo list without Les Habitants? The Canadians du Montreal make the list with this timeless centerpiece.
3. Toronto Maple Leafs (throwback): The Leafs haven’t won a Stanley Cup since switching to their modern logo in 1967. Coincidence? We think not.
2. Chicago Blackhawks: One of the best logos in all of sports. This modern incarnation of the fabled Chief Blackhawk is nearly flawless.
1. Hartford Whalers: Like many other North American sports franchises of the last two decades, the Whalers severely downgraded their aesthetics when they became the Carolina Hurricanes in 1997. This logo remains one of the most clever, and unique designs to ever grace a professional sports uniform.